Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Birthday Fun

Baby Bear's party was this weekend. We had a really good time.  Friends and family whom we haven't seen in a while came up to join the fun. My sister was a tremendous help-I seriously could not have thrown the party without her. I owe her about three parties worth of help for everything she did for me!
Baby Bear received some really cute things for his birthday. Among the highlights, a LeapFrog Fridge Farm. It's a cute little animal matching game that sticks onto your fridge. (Obviously..heehee.) It sings songs and names the animals. I really like it. Baby Bear likes the animal magnets. He's been taking them off the fridge and hiding them in nearby cabinets. I have found them quite a few times already while preparing meals. He also got some lovely Swaddlebees cloth diapers, which I am in love with.  Hopefully, he can appreciate them as much as I do. I'm in the market for new prefolds, so having these new all-in-ones around will be extremely helpful while I'm waiting the buy them. Ultimately, I'd like to get a truckload of all-in-ones, but I will have to be patient and buy them one at a time.
In other news, we just spent a small fortune on new tires for my car. I was on the way home from running errands when I suddenly realized the car was not driving normally. I immediately suspected a flat tire, and sure enough, that's what it was. Having never changed a tire before, I was supremely grateful that Papa Bear had taken the day off. I called him up and he came to the rescue. I learned two things, one: I could probably change my own tire now. Two: We need a second carseat for Papa Bear's vehicle. Luckily, Baby Bear is still within the height and weight limits of his infant seat-but just barely. I'm not sure what I would have done if he didn't fit in that seat. I guess I would have been changing my own tire...Anyway, the flat couldn't be repaired so we had to purchase two new tires. My car has irregular tires so they're much more expensive than normal tires. I hate it. The next car I get will have normal tires and not require any specialty items.
What else is new? Baby Bear continues to be a picky eater. We have found a few things that he likes and will eat regularly, and that's pretty much all he gets. He doesn't like meat and is not a huge fan of his milk, so getting protein in him can be a challenge. Luckily, he enjoys peanut butter and whole grain bread so he's getting a little bit from those items. I know people can be vegetarians and be perfectly healthy, but Baby Bear is like a "yogurt-bananatarian" because that's all he'll eat. He does enjoy his vegetables, so at least we have that going for us. He did not gain any weight from his last checkup to his 12 mo appointment, but the doctor does not seem to be worried and I will try to trust his medical knowledge and expertise.
Not much else-there's a job opening that I'm toying with the idea of applying to. I don't feel any great sense of desire on this one, though. I think I'm afraid of rejection. I'm afraid I won't like it as much as my last job. I am also in FTM panic mode and don't believe anyone can care for Baby Bear like I can. The idea of daycare is daunting. Papa Bear is traveling a lot this month, so I'm waiting this job out. If the posting is still up when he's no longer jet-setting around the midwest, I might apply to it. We shall see. I like staying at home with Baby Bear, and I know some people would kill for the chance to stay at home with their kids. But it's something I struggle with, because I was raised with the idea that I could do anything, and being a housewife was something undesirable. I don't think my parents intentionally instilled this idea-but having two working parents your whole life makes you feel like you should be working, not sitting at home on your rear. Not that taking care of Baby Bear is some easy job-I don't sit around eating bon bons and watching Judge Judy. But, I feel like I should be doing more, I guess. Regardless, for the time being I am fairly happy staying at home, but I wouldn't mind getting a job. I've come to peace with the fact that I'm a mom that stays at home.
Lastly, there's an awesome giveaway at The Cloth Diaper Whisperer. These all-in-ones look fabulous and I'd love to win one to try it out!!
Pictures to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment